Federal Skilled Trade Program

  • Home
  • /
  • Immigration
  • /
  • Federal Skilled Trade Program

The Federal Skilled Trade Program has been designed for people who wish to become permanent residents of Canada based on their qualification in a particular skilled trade.


  • You should plan to live in a province other than Quebec (Quebec offers provincial immigration for skilled workers under a separate category. If you plan to live in Quebec, check Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
  • Meet the minimum level in English or French for language ability including reading, writing, listening and speaking,
  • Have minimum 2 years full-time work experience in a skilled trade * within 5 years before applying,
  • Meet all the specific job requirements for that particular skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
  • Have an offer for full-time employment for a period of 1 year ** at least or a certification of qualification in that particular skilled trade issues by a territorial or provincial body.***

* Here, full-time work refers to at least 30 hours of work over 1 week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid experience. For instance:

  • If you have worked for 15 hours a week in one job over 4 years, or
  • If you have worked a total 30 hours per week in more than 1 job over 2 years

** Up to 2 (two) employers commitment can be taken for your employment for at least 1 year of continuous full-time work, which means at least 30 hours of work over 1 week time-frame.

*** In Canada, only territories and provinces issue certificates of qualification in a skilled trade. In order to obtain this certificate, the territorial or provincial trade authority must assess your training, skills, and trade experience to decide whether or not you are eligible to write an examination for certification.

You may have to go to a province or territory to be assessed. You may even need an employer in Canada for training and experience.

You must visit the website of the governing body of trades for the territory/province where you want to live and work in Canada. The process differs depending on where you wish to go.

Each website offers more details about whether or not a certificate of your qualification to work there in a particular skilled trade is needed, and what you have to do to obtain it.

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Nunavut
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • Yukon

Regional Business Partners

visa consultants surrey overseas immigration consultants Canada Dependent Work Permit Super visa for parents Super visa for parents

One Stop Solutions for All Your Overseas Dream

Book a consultation